6 gut health recipes a dietitian recommends
There’s no denying the power of the gut.
Your gut microbiome influences everything from digestion and serious disease risk to mood and cognitive function. And as emerging research has uncovered these links, gut health has landed squarely in the media spotlight. What was once a taboo topic is now everywhere you look.
To help you navigate the conversation with confidence, I’ve curated 6 delicious Centr recipes for gut health and some simple tips for supporting overall function.
How do we know if gut health is off?
Gut issues can manifest in various ways, but some of the most noticeable signs include:
Digestive discomfort like bloating, gas, diarrhea, or constipation
Low energy levels
Serious mood changes
If any of this sounds familiar, don't go it alone. See a health professional who can help you modify your diet for your individual needs, which will be more efficient than trying to adopt a one-size-fits-all approach.
5 simple science-backed gut health tips
Remember, what works for one might not work for another. But some nutrition tips apply to pretty much everyone.
- A high-fiber diet (at least 25 grams daily for women and 38 grams daily for men) with various plant foods is essential for a healthy gut microbiome. Skip the supplements and opt for whole-food fiber sources like vegetables, berries, avocado, chia, prunes, flaxseeds, whole grains, beans and lentils.
- Fermented foods like yogurt, miso, tempeh, kefir, kimchi and sauerkraut are rich in probiotics that promote healthy gut bacteria.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish like salmon, and plant sources like chia, flax or hempseeds, can help to reduce inflammation in our gut. Some studies suggest that they may also help to promote a more diverse gut microbiome.
- Limit prepackaged foods like protein bars that contain large amounts of added fiber and sugar alcohols or substitutes – these can cause more harm than good if you’re experiencing gut issues.
- Minimize your alcohol intake. When you drink alcohol in large amounts, it can cause intestinal inflammation and increase levels of harmful bacteria while reducing levels of beneficial bacteria.
So how do you put all that advice into action? These recipes are a great place to start.
1. Ingrid’s Belly-licious Smoothie
This smoothie blends up several sources of plant fiber, including chia and flaxseeds for a dose of omega-3s and prebiotic gut food.
2. My Simple Baked Salmon with Honey Lemon Sauce
Every single ingredient in this easy dinner is a microbiome MVP. Together, they make a gut health championship team.
3. Bircher Muesli
Start your day with some gut love with this easy bircher breakfast. Beyond gut health, oats are packed with beta-glucans, a kind of fiber linked to improving our cardiovascular health by reducing low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels.
4. Dan’s Kimchi-fried Noodles with Chicken & Veggies
Kimchi gives Dan’s stir-fry a probiotic punch (plus an umami flavor hit). If you’re vegan or vegetarian, swap the chicken for a plant protein like tofu or tempeh.
5. My Tempeh Bolognese
My vegetarian-friendly bolognese features fermented tempeh and veg aplenty for the comfort meal your gut has been begging for.
6. Roast Veggie Protein Bowl with Eggs
With lentils, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, beets, seeds, avocado and sauerkraut, this single bowl is like a party for your gut (yes, you’re invited).
Looking for more nutrition advice from the experts?
Sports dietitian Angie Asche will power your plate with no-nonsense food advice. Founder of Eleat Sports Nutrition, Angie works with MLB, NFL and NHL athletes to get the best from their bodies. With a Masters of Science in Nutrition & Physical Performance, and as a certified exercise physiologist and personal trainer, she’s got the expertise you need to achieve your goals.
Sign up to unlock your full potential
All your tools in one place
Expert-training to fuel your fitness, nutrition and mindfulness.
Limitless ways to fuel your mind & body
Access to over 3,000 workouts, recipes, and meditations – all tailored to your goals.
Tech that keeps you moving
Download Centr on all your devices to level up and track your results live.